The other day, when I went shopping for my regular groceries I saw these really fresh and lovely looking green tomatoes. I was so tempted to buy them, even though I didn’t know what to do with them. So I just went ahead and bought some and decided to cook something with it.
For those who do not know what are green/raw tomatoes – Green tomatoes are just unripened tomatoes which can be used to make delicious dishes, such as chutneys, salsas and jams.
I just made a sabzi with it and I was quite happy with the results. It tasted like a gojju (a telugu word for vegetable semi-gravy dish). Here is the recipe for green tomato ki sabzi.
500 gms green/raw tomatoes
1 large onion finely chopped
2 tbsp of tomato puree (packed one)
few curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
a handful of coriander leaves
Salt to taste
- Heat some oil in a skillet. When the oil is hot, throw in some curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds till they splutter.
- Now add the onions and fry till golden brown.
- Once the onions are cooked add the tomatoes and mix well. Then add in all the masala and salt and mix well. Now add the tomato paste and mix for a couple of minutes. Cover and let it cook for about 15 min on low flame.
- Once the tomatoes are soft, just add in the coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with fresh home made chapattis.