One of the most common Indian foods for a baby is kichidi…but Avishi never liked it and I wasn’t surprised :). But I had to feed her dal as it is a vital source of protein. So I made her some sambar. You can serve it with idli or rice. The best thing about making sambar is that you can add in some veggies as well. Carrot and Lauki go really well with sambar and are good for babies. (Avoid using brinjal, drumsticks and ladies fingers for babies). I avoid making sambar for Avishi with toor dal because it is quite gassy. Instead I use moong or masoor dal.
1 cup cooked dal
2 tbsp chopped onions
2 tbsp chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup of grated carrot or lauki (bottle gourd)
1 tsp sambar powder
1 pinch of mustard seeds
Salt to taste
- In a skillet, heat some oil. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds till it splitters.
- Then add the chopped onions and saute till they turn golden brown. Then add the tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Add the grated vegetables and saute for a minute or two.
- Then add some sambar powder and salt and mix well.
- Now add the cooked dal and let it simmer till the vegetables are cooked.