Saffron(Kesar) is an exotic spice which has a wonderful aroma and flavour. It is undoubtedly the most expensive spice in the world. Buying saffron is equivalent to buying gold. Saffron even has many health benefits as it is rich in folic acid, niacin, vitamin A & C.
Here is a recipe that uses saffron strands. I made this for both Avishi and Us. Of course, I blended it a little for Avishi.
1 cup rice
1 litre milk
A few saffron strands
1/2 tsp of elaichi (cardamom powder)
3 tbsp ghee
Some nuts for garnish (pistachio/almonds/cashew nuts)
- Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes and then drain it.
- Heat some ghee in a skillet and then add the rice into it and saute for a while.
- Add the milk into it and let it cook on a low flame. Keep cooking till the rice is cooked and the milk thickens. Remember to keep stirring in between.
- Now add the sugar, cardamom powder and saffron strands. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped nuts. (no nuts for baby)